Since 1992, the mission of Privacy Rights Clearinghouse has been to engage, educate and empower individuals to protect their privacy. We identify trends and communicate our findings to advocates, policymakers, industry, media and consumers. The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse is a California nonprofit corporation with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse's goals are to:
- Empower consumers to take action to control their own personal information by providing practical tips on privacy protection.
- Raise consumers' awareness of how technology affects personal privacy.
- Respond to specific privacy-related complaints from consumers, and when appropriate, intercede on their behalf and/or refer them to the proper organizations for further assistance.
- Document the nature of consumers' complaints and questions about privacy in reports, testimony, and speeches and make them available to policy makers, industry representatives, consumer advocates, and the media.
- Advocate for consumers' privacy rights in local, state, and federal public policy proceedings, including legislative testimony, regulatory agency hearings, task forces, and study commissions as well as conferences and workshops.