- Limit the amount of personal information you include in your online profiles.
- Be cautious when accepting friend or follow requests on social media, even if the request appears to be from a friend or family member. It is best to verify with the friend or family member that he or she owns the account before accepting the request.
- Keep social media profiles “private” to restrict who has access to your information.
- Don’t post photos of your house that can indicate its location and avoid checking-in at your house on social media.
- Exercise caution when connecting your cell phone to your social media account, and be mindful when posting live updates about your location or activities.