- Before making a purchase on a website, check to make sure the address starts with “https:” and/or that there is a padlock icon before it. If not, your card information may not be secure.
- Remember: Anyone can make a website. If you’re unfamiliar with a company, do some research before you shop online with them.
- Sign out of social media and email accounts to avoid being tracked when browsing or shopping online.
- Disclose only required information (usually marked by an asterisk *) when checking out. Voluntary information is typically used for targeted marketing or advertising purposes and you may receive unwanted solicitations from the company in the future.
- Keep passwords for your online shopping accounts protected. If a password is compromised, someone may be able to make purchases under your name and card.